chicken burrito bowls



Summetime in Texas will be here in a few short months & I'll be complaining about how miserable I am. I promise that. I hate insane amounts of heat. Mix that with humidity & I'm ready to pack my bags for the North Pole. Don't get me wrong, I love lake days, camping & swimming, but this fair skin girl can only take so much.  But for now, I'm soaking up every bit of this amazing spring that we are having, minus those severe storms, even though I do love me a good rain.


Part of this gorgeous weather we have been having, is the fact that I can pretty much guarantee firing up the grill at least once a week.  Grilled food wins hands down over anything else, well maybe except Mexican food, but it's pretty close up there.   

This past weekend, we set aside Sunday as our project completion day.  And by golly, we completed projects. The yard is nice and pretty for a couple weeks, got my open air shelves finished for the kitchen (post tomorrow!!) and started another couple projects. It was the perfect day to fire up the grill, throw on some chicken and hot links while enjoying a nice cold beverage. Have you tried Cayman Jacks Cuban Mojitos? Seriously yum y'all! 

We buy our chicken from Costco, it's just more efficient that way, but there's always more than enough in one "tear off" packet, so we can usually get 2-3 meals from one packet, so it was no decision at all to put chicken burrito bowls on the menu. These are fabulous because you can literally put what you want on them, there's always leftovers & Ben will happily eat it.  

Chicken Marinade:
Italian dressing - about half a cup
Soy sauce - 3 tbsp
Minced garlic - 3 heaping tbsp
Lemon pepper seasoning - few dashes
Special Shit seasoning - few dashes
Water - about half a cup

This is totally a rough guesstimate for the marinade I use.  I put my thawed chicken in a gallon bag & then put all my "ingredients" in with water being last.  Remove air from bag and seal. Place in fridge in a bowl, in case of leaking. 

Chicken Burrito Bowls:
Diced grilled chicken
Steamed rice or saffron rice 
Black beans, heated
Chopped lettuce
Shredded Cheese
Salsa 

Layer ingredients in a bowl. Enjoy.  Serve with chips if you need some crunch.

The possibilities are endless on this.  Tomatoes, onions, guacamole, pico de gallo, sour cream, cilantro, etc.  I usually just do the above because it's what I always have on hand, plus we don't keep tomatoes or sour cream on hand.  I also have been looking to create a good cilantro lime rice recipe for this, just haven't gotten around to it yet.  

What toppings would be your favorite?



No comments